Sweet potatoes. There are so many ways to make them delicious -- close to a blank canvas, but so much better, due to their naturally sweet earth flavor. Puréed, waffled, caramelized or as a hash... it's all amazing.
Ever since I went to a potluck and someone brought a southwestern roasted potato salad from a local deli, I've been a bit obsessed with adding chili, paprika, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime to my sweet potatoes. It's good warm or cold, which means I can eat RIGHT NOW if I'm starving, or as a cool side dish the next day. The southwestern flavors also scream summer to me, and even though sweet potatoes aren't necessarily a summer crop, the added peppers and cilantro are.
Between this and my recent paleo ice cream experiments, I'm set for hot days. It's supposed to be close to 90°F here for Independence Day, so you can bet I'll be eating ample amount of both of those things to cool off! I'll actually be spending the long weekend rock climbing in northern Wyoming, so in order to do that I need to spend the next few hours figuring out how to make both of those items out of our tent... (Mission Accepted!).
Wishing everyone a happy 4th of July (if you celebrate it)!
Serves: 4 | Total Time:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potatoe
- 1 red bell peppers
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chile powder
- Dash of ground cayenne
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional, for serving: avocado and a fried egg
- Mince the garlic and slice the onion and wash and cube the potato. Dice the bell peppers and remove seeds.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, onions, pepper and sweet potatoes. Stir and cover pan, reducing heat to medium-low.
- After 5 minutes, stir the potatoes again. Add the spices and salt. Allow to cook for 10-12 more minutes, until sweet potatoes are cooked through and browned on the outside. Squeeze the lime juice into the pan. Toss the potatoes to coat. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves.
- Serve how with a fried egg and avocado or as a dinner side.