Happy New Year, everyone!
Cheese and potatoes is nothing new, but it is dreamy nonetheless. This cheese-and-potatoes combo is a bit different from the usual though, as the star of the show is caramelized sweet potatoes and the savory, cheesy goodness comes from feta crumbles.
The duo is dynamic. Warm, starchy sweet potatoes have been slow cooked to bring out their natural sweetness, so they have a more complex flavor than just regular old sweet potatoes. They stand up against salty feta cheese. Each brings out the best in the other, as an good pair would.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner side, there's no stopping this dish from working it's way into every meal. It seems to fit in everywhere: it would even make a nice putlock dish (just make a big batch so everyone can get some!!).
And while this dish may be a kin to regular old potatoes and cheese, it's also good fuel: orange fleshed sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin C. So eat up! Those vitamins will keep you feeling strong through the rest of winter. Bonus: research shows that you'll absorb both the beta carotene and vitamin A better when your meal includes a source of fat (read: don't skip the cheese!!) 🧀❤️🍠
Serves: 3 | Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup minced parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. (affiliate link!)
- Dice sweet potatoes to 1/2-inch cubes, and place in large bowl. Add minced red onion. Pour butter and honey into bowl, and stir until all sweet potatoes are coated. Transfer to baking sheet and spread into a single layer, and then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are cooked through and sweet.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to serving bowl. Top with feta cheese crumbles and minced parsley. Serve.