With toasted slivered almonds, crunchy sugar snap peas, creamy avocado, and bright cucumber, this extraordinarily green slaw is everything you need and more when you're craving a plateful of veggies and something bright.
It started as a simple thing -- a slaw to be served under some salmon burgers I've been working on. But then it spiraled out of control: as I drove home, I started to day dream about an everything-green slaw and what all could go into it. Next thing you know, I'm pulling off the thoroughfare and aiming for the closest grocery store to pick up a few things I don't have at home: green onions, limes, and a green bell pepper.
With the color green as my muse, I headed home and immediately started slicing and dicing. The salmon burgers? I'm sure they were fine, but I don't quite remember. It was the slaw that got all of the attention. Dressed in a bright ginger-lime vinaigrette, it was refreshing and bold. Bits of toasted almond added a punch that was rather addicting, and avocado -- well, we all love avocado, don't we?
Here's to the color green! It makes for one pretty slaw.
P.S., Every time I post a salad recipe showing this salad bowl, I get asked about the bowl. It is my favorite salad bowl! Mine was a gift, but I've see a very similar one on Amazon (affiliate link!).
Serves: 6 | Total Time: 15 minutes
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut julienne
- 1 cucumber
- 2 green onions
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated on microplane
- Place thinly sliced cabbage and sliced bell pepper in large salad bowl.
- Cut cucumber on a bias (here’s a video on how to do that), and add to bowl. Then, remove roots and dark green parts form green onions, slice green onions, and add to bowl. Add add optional jalapeño, cubed avocado, minced cilantro, and slivered almonds. Toss salad to combine ingredients.
- In a small jar, combine lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, salt, maple syrup, and grated ginger. Place lid on jar and shake until combined. Pour dressing over salad and toss until everything is coated. Serve.