When there is Tortilla Soup on the menu, I'm the first person to notice and there's a pretty high chance I will order it, no matter the weather. I've been in love with Tortilla Soup for as long as I can remember.
Despite my appreciate for what is a really simple soup, I've never mastered making it at home: it's like I always over think it, adding something extra or missing some key ingredient. Then, finally, after many years, I made a Tortilla Soup and thought, hey, I think this is the one!
I've been subsiding on decent but not perfect replacements for some time now-- this Taco Soup is not Tortilla Soup, but when a craving strikes, it'll hit the same chord. But this soup--THIS SOUP- is what I've really been striving for.
The secret? Simple pasilla chiles, sauted with the onions and garlic, and freshly made chicken broth. Oh, and not over thinking it. Tortilla Soup should be simple, like a tortilla. Then you can get crazy with the toppings.
Serves: 4 | Total Time:
- 8 cups bone broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pasilla chile
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 spring cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound chicken (boneless breasts or thighs)
- Salt & pepper
- Optional, for serving: avocado, cheddar cheese, corn tortillas (cut into strips and toasted), lime wedges
- Dice the onion and pasilla chile. Mince the garlic. Then, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the bottom of your Instant Pot on the sauté setting. Sauté the onion and garlic, for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the pasilla chile, and sauté for a another minute.
- Add the chicken to the pot, browning for 5 minutes on each side. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, a few dashes of salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Pour broth into pot.
- Fit instant pot with lid, and set on Stew setting. Set timer to 20 minutes.
- Once Instant Pot is done, release the pressure. Remove lid. Using a slotted spoon, pull chicken pieces from soup. Using two forks, shred chicken and then return to pot.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with your favorite toppings. I recommend diced avocado, cheese, a squeeze of lime, and tortilla strips.