“Something warm," Oliver answers, when I ask him what he wants to eat on our way back down the canyon from climbing. This time of year, we get sunny winter days that are cool but not cold enough to keep us locked up in the house. When we’re done adventuring, we want something warm to eat, and fast. This Instant Pot Thai Coconut Curry always hits the spot. It helps that once you put all the ingredients in the pressure cooker and lock the lid, you set the timer for just 4 minutes and then you can eat!
In addition to chicken, this Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken is PACKED with veggies: zucchini, bell peppers, cauliflower — even sugar snap peas. Because of this, I like it even more than I like take out curry or restaurant curry, where I always wish they put more vegetables in the bowl.
You can customize this recipe to your spicy preferences, making it a “5 - Thai hot” or a “1” depending on what you would normally order. Since not everyone in our house agrees on how spicy their curry should be, I cook one big batch, and then let everyone add extra Thai Chilis to their own bowl to their heart’s content. Everyone wins!
I don't know about you, but in this household curry is in our top ten favorite meals. Valentine's Day is just around the corner (um, tomorrow!!) and it's not a holiday we celebrate much, but making our favorite meal and sharing it together is something we might do. Curry isn't your typical Valentine's Day meal, but I find it's perfect: wholesome, spicy, red, and makes everyone in the house smile. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ That's all the counts.
Serves: 4 | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste (3 if you like it spicier) (I used this brand (affiliate link!))
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- For serving: rice/cauliflower rice, cilantro, minced Thai chiles (for extra spice!) or favorite hot sauce
- Heat coconut oil in the bottom of your Instant Pot (affiliate link!) on the Sauté setting. Once oil glistens, place onion and garlic in the pot, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Then, place the cubed chicken in the pot.
- Add chopped cauliflower, sliced bell peppers, snap peas, and zucchini to the pot along with the red curry paste, coconut milk, and broth. Stir everything briefly.
- Close and lock lid on Instant Pot and change to “Soup” setting. Set timer for 4 minutes, with the vent in the sealed position.
- When the timer goes off, release the pressure and unlock the lid. Serve curry with your choice of rice or cauliflower rice, and garnish with cilantro. Top with minced Thai chiles or your favorite hot sauce for extra heat!