My brain? Fried. The last two weeks have been a power-haul of finals and end of the year projects. But after finishing two tests on Wednesday, I could instantly breath better, sleep better and think clearer. (Funny how that works--I wish the clear thinking came along with the tests instead of after it, but there's just something about looming tests that make me want to hold my breath until it's over... and holding my breath really doesn't do much for brain function).
Going to the monthly Paleo Potluck Club dinner last Sunday was a bright spot between study sessions last weekend. The feast was exactly what my brain needed. This brussels sprout salad, with it's absurdly long name, was a winner: fresh crunch from the shredded brussels sprouts, a sweet kick from the apples, and a savory-salty bonus from bacon pieces. Pepitas give it a nutty crunch.
I ended up recreating the salad twice during the week. It's variety of flavor and textures are just delicious! And while salad usually feels meh in the winter, this salad feels just right.
If you're new to salad with brussels sprouts you're probably having a lot of doubts right now. I don't blame you. To be honest, I tasted my first brussels sprout less than 3 years ago (though I can't remember when...), so I'm no sprout veteran. What I can tell you, is that if you're a brussels sprout newbie, this salad is not a bad place to start. (Come on, it has bacon in it!) And, if you are an brussels sprout veteran, add this one to your arsenal--it will not fail you.
Serves: 2-4 | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts, cut them with the mandolin attachment of your food processor or thinly with a knife
- 1 cup shredded dino kale
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 gala apple, cored and diced (optional, save 1/4 of the apple and slice thinly to use as garnish)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat medium sized skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crispy. Move to a plate, and once cool, crumble into small pieces. Then, slice onion into thin strips and sauté in bacon grease until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Place shredded brussels sprouts and shredded dino kale in a salad bowl and toss until distributed.
- Make vinaigrette in a small jar: place all ingredients for vinaigrette in a jar with a lid, and close. Shake until combined. Pour over greens, and toss until coated.
- Add crumbled bacon, cooled onions, diced apple, and pumpkin seeds and toss. If desired, top with reserved apple slices for garnish.