Update - 1/8/2017: I've been working on my photography, and since this is one of my most popular recipes, I wanted to give the images a revamp! These pictures are new, but the recipe is the same as it's always been.
When our plane landed in Denver, snow was falling on the tarmac. I could tell it was cold by the way the air loomed, thick and foggy. The back door of the plane opened, and what had been an overstuffed canister for hours was suddenly an icebox. Out on the street, I regretted packing my gloves in the bottom of my suitcase. The pair in the car went to use the minute I saw them. The car rolled to a start, and I waited for the thermometer to show the temperature.
0 degrees Fahrenheit. For a moment. Only a few minutes passed before that number began to drop: -1.
It didn't stop. -2.
By the time I had made it home, my fingers were frozen straight through: fingersicles! The thermometer stopped at -3. Breakout the Instant Pot!
For those of you that don't know, an Instant Pot is a pressure cooker slow cooker hybrid with which I have a love-hate relationship. Sunday was one of those love days. From start to finish, the Instant Pot made this Paleo Chicken & Smoked Sausage Stew a breeze from start to finish. And the kitchen, which had gone untouched for a week and a half, came alive with the smell of this warm, classic stew.
Adding hot sauce to this Gumbo really cranks up the heat--exactly what you need when your fingers are ice cubes!
Want to get more recipes like this? Sign up for the Foraged Dish email newsletter. I'll send you a free printable of my favorite Grain-Free Banana Bread recipe.
Serves: 6 | Total Active Time:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound andouille pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups bone broth or water
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: hot sauce to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot (on the Sauté setting). Add the chicken and sausage to the pan and cook through. While the meat cooks, slice the onion. Dice the bell peppers, and chop the carrots and celery. Remove the meat from the pot, and set aside for later use.
- Sauté the vegetables in the bottom of the Instant Pot, stirring occasionally. Mince the garlic, and add it to the pan. Add the broth and chopped tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer (the sauté function will do this automatically)
- Once the chicken and sausage are cool enough to handle, slice them into bite-sized pieces. Return them to the pot, along with the spices. Mince the parsley now, and add that as well. Give the stew one stir and then lock the lid on. Turn the Instant Pot to the soup setting and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with hot sauce to taste. Note: This recipe can be done in a regular soup pot, just increase the final cooking time in step 3 to 20 to 30 minute, until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have simmered together.
Original image below.