A Parisian Cigarette is a small, delicate tuile cookie, rolled into a small cylinder. Sometimes they're delicately decorated in chocolate. When I was in high school, I spent many evenings at my friend Taylor's house baking all kinds of things, including tuile cookies. (Yup, that was my rebellious teen streak: stayin' up all night and eatin' cupcakes).
Tuile cookies became a symbol of our bake-a-thons. We began calling ourselves The Parisian Cigarettes. Man, is that embarrassing to admit.
While Parisian Cigarettes became our symbol, chocolate was really our object of trade. Each day before school started, Cata and I would sit in the hallway outside our classroom, discussing the recipes we'd found online and deciding what we would make next. The recipes Cata and I chose were beyond predictable: they always contained the maximum chocolate to bite ratio. The third Parisian Cigarette in our baking trinity was more of a white chocolate person, so she'd always over a different perspective -- one that wasn't doused in chocolate.
This recipe is grain-free, but it's one the Parisian Cigarettes would've loved. Rich, chocolately, with just a streak of sweet aspiring sophistication. Just like our favorite tuile cookies, these brownies have that "Oooo, Wooow," factor, thanks to the Kahlua.
That's not the only reason why the Parisian Cigarettes would've loved these brownies. The addition of Kahlua gives these brownies an adult twist -- one that three high-school-aged, giggly girls would swoon over. So adult.
Yes. So adult. Just like that night we made a Facebook page for a cupcake named ChouChou... just like that. 😏
Anyways... embarrassing stories from my past aside, these brownies are dark and chocolatey, just like I like it. They're not very sweet, but laced with coffee-scent and Kahlua flavor.
I'm lucky, Oliver's mom make homemade Kahlua over the holidays, and a bottle of grain-free Kahlua was made just for us! Kahlua is definite not paleo, or low carb. This recipe contains just a spoonful -- a decadent treat for a decadent day, when you're in need of a naughty treat.
Serves: 8 | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup almond butter, smooth
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted — plus more for greasing pan
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua (homemade kahlua for a truly grain-free recipe)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together the almond butter, melted butter, honey, vanilla, eggs, Kahlua, and coconut milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. Fold these into the wet ingredients until batter is smooth. Grease a 8x8 baking dish, and pour batter into the pan.
- Place the plan in the oven and bake for 12-17 minutes, until brownies are set. If you prefer your brownies a tad gooey, pull them out before they are puffed. If you prefer your brownies almost cakey, bake until brownies are puffy and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.