“That’s a lot of rhubarb,” the cashier said, as he picked up the bag and placed it on the scale. I shrugged. What is "a lot" of rhubarb, anyway? Rhubarb season is only so long and the rhubarb plants in my garden are so small, buying pounds upon pounds of it is the only thing to do.
So why so much rhubarb? Well mostly, I wanted to make this rhubarb crisp over and over again. But also, I had dreams of a pink lemonade with tart rhubarb notes, and a rhubarb ice cream. This recipe is the result of the first dream -- the ice cream is still a work in progress.
Rhubarb is pretty tart on it's own, so honey lends natural sweetness to this drink to balance out the lemons and rhubarb juice. The addition of ginger adds a bite, making this lemonade super refreshing and rounding out it's flavor profile. (I LOVE ginger in lemonade!)
And that color? It's totally natural! The batch of rhubarb I used to make this lemonade was super pink to start with, so if your rhubarb is a softer hue of pink, I would expect your juice to end up a softer shade of pink, too.
Mix it up: There are a few twists you could pull on this recipe, including topping it off with sparkling water (spritzer, anyone?), or adding a shot of tequila for an springtime hard Rhubarb Ginger Lemonade. Give them both a try!
Serves: 4 | Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 inch ginger root, minced
- 4-5 lemons (about 1 cup lemon juice)
- 1/3 cup honey
- Add chopped rhubarb, 1/2 cup water, and ginger to a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, until rhubarb is soft.
- Place a strainer over a bowl. Pour rhubarb mixture through strainer, catching water and juices with bowl. Using a spatula, press all of the juice out of the rhubarb chunks. Then, discard rhubarb pulp.
- Juice the lemons. Strain lemon juice to remove any seeds. Pour lemon juice into the bowl with the rhubarb juice. Add honey and remaining 3 cups water, and stir until honey is dissolved. Chill before serving, and pour over ice in glasses.
- Note: you can also top off your glass with sparkling water or add a shot of tequila!