I have this terrible habit of buying the fruitiest trail mix at the store, and eating pretty much only the nuts before deciding I'm done. Buying the trail mix without fruit takes some serious self control-- at the store, it looks like sweet little pieces of candy. A few bites in, I'm done and ready to move on.
What's better is when the nuts are somehow transformed into a treat, like the cocoa-dusted pecans in this trail mix, which are roasted with a bit of cinnamon and a dash of cayenne.
Time to get ready for National Trail Mix Day (It's on the 31st!)!
Yields: 4 cups | Total Time:
For the pecans:
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Pinch cayenne
- Small dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon For the trail mix:
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Whisk egg white to soft peaks. Fool in pecans until coated. In small bowl, whisk together the cocoa, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne. Toss pecans in mixture. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside to cool completely.
- Toss pecans with macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, cacao nibs, and espresso beans. Store in airtight container.