Have you ever been eating, and gone for the next bite only the realize--oh! There's none left. That's what happened here: I was eating breakfast (more like slurping it up), and savoring the flavor of pesto swirled with my veggies and eggs. And then it was gone, and my tastebuds were totally unsatisfied. Pesto, pesto on everything! they cried.
So, of course, I had to make the same breakfast for the next three days straight just to satisfy their pleas.
This recipe is quite easy, which makes it manageable in the early morning, but it's also satisfying enough to be the main show at brunch.
First, soft scrambled eggs, rich with yolk-y color and fluffy, too.
Then the veggies-- a bunch of bright greens to power you up! A mix of broccoli, green bell pepper, and zucchini, all chopped into a fine dice and sautéd with onion.
An uninhibited smear of bold pesto.
And then finally, a bit of melted cheese.
(Dairy free? Go ahead and skip the cheese. Find a pesto that fits your dietary needs--one made with nutritional yeast instead of parmesan, perhaps- and then dive in! No one should miss out on this glorious breakfast).
Serves: 1 | Total Time:
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets (cut small)
- 1/4 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce cheese, in thin sliced or shredded
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a medium sized skillet. Once oil is hot, add the onion to the pan, and sauté until transparent. Add broccoli, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until seared and broccoli is bright green.
- In a small skillet, heat the other teaspoon of coconut oil over low heat. Whisk the eggs, along with a pinch of salt, together until well scrambled. Once oil is hot, pour scrambled eggs into the pan. Using a wooden spoon, gentle fold the eggs after 2 minutes. Repeat until the eggs are still slightly loose, but mostly cooked through.
- Add the veggies to the eggs, and fold in. Add the pesto, and stir in. Top entire scramble with cheese. Wait just 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Use a spatula to serve the food onto a plate. Top with pepper and serve hot.