This has been a week for slow cookers. Part of my day job requires looking at a lot of slow cooker recipes on Pinterest (I'm not even kidding here guys!). I look at enough recipes that it start to feel a bit more like reading the news than anything else, but on occasion, a craving strikes.
This was one of those weeks.
There must've been something in the air while I was looking at recipes this week, because suddenly I had a huge craving for enchiladas (or... maybe I was just hungry 😉). Out with the slow cooker!
In a slow cooker, beef gets simmered low and slow in a savory red chili sauce, making it the ultimate dinner for a girl craving enchiladas. Top it with some cilantro and a slice of avocado: you've got one happy camper!
Serves: 6-8 | Total Time:
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 sixteen-ounce diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat, with the coconut oil. Once browned, scrape them into a blender.
- Add the spices and can of tomatoes to the blender as well, and puree until smooth.
- Brown the meat on each side. Once browned on all sides, place the meat in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. Pour sauce over top, covering meat.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Beef should be extremely tender — use a fork to shred the meat and mix full with the sauce. Serve hot.
- Optional: spread shredded pork on cookie sheet and place in oven on high broil setting for 5-7 minutes to let the pork get crispy on the edges.