After a patient wait, a bushel of carrots finally made their way from the last planter box in my garden into a colander and through the front door. Some of them could've been picked sooner, but I wanted it to be like this: a tall pile of carrots, homegrown and bright orange, ready to be the star of the dish. (Typically, when I see something ripe, like a single cherry tomato, I pick it right away. But a single cherry tomato doesn't do much for dinner).
I sat with those carrots for a day or two: what to make, what to make. Then, when I had time to give them they energy they deserved, I spread them out on a pan and reached for my favorite ingredients.
A little oil, a little honey: To accentuate the carrots' natural sweetness.
Ginger: my love. Ginger is a star in my kitchen.
Salt and pepper: Really I always add these, unless I'm making something sweet.
And into the oven they went! They came out golden and soft and just barely crispy on the edges. After sprinkling them with pine nuts and feta, along with a little parsley, I sat down to lunch. A very orange, but much anticipated lunch. I didn't tell anyone about the leftovers, I just put them in the fridge and hoped they would still be there for my lunch the next day. 😏
Don't want to crank up the oven in the middle of summer? Neither. I use my toaster oven all summer long for dishes like this!!
Serves: 4 | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound whole carrots
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon honey, melted
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated on microplane
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sprinkle of pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Optional: 1/4 cup feta
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash carrots, and spread out on a sheet pan. Drizzle with avocado oil and melted honey. Use a wooden spatula to toss carrots so that they are all coated in the oil-honey mixture. Sprinkle with ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until carrots are softened through and starting to turn golden on the outside. Sprinkle pine nuts over the carrots, and bake for about 5 more minutes (just long enough to toast the nuts). Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl or divide among plates.
- Sprinkle with parsley and feta.