Are you ever so brain dead after work that you pull into your drive way and realize you just listened to the public radio pledge drive the whole way home? Or worse, a solid 20 minutes of commercials? And by listen, I mean you actually heard every word...you just couldn't think enough to care or change the station? This is me, all the time.
On the other hand, some days I get in the car and hear the news start, and immediately have to just turn it off. No more words, too many words! Peace and quiet is all I can handle on those days.
These are the days I want to come home to dinner already prepped and ready to go: zero effort, just delicious satisfaction on a plate so that I can do nothing more than relax.
Lately, we've been getting home pretty late, after we manage to leave the office and hit the gym. Like 8:30pm. When I get home at 8:30pm, the last thing I want to do is cook dinner... By the time 9pm hits, I'd rather be in bed than pulling something from the oven or dishing something onto a plate!
Anyways, it's made me want to start planning ahead of time, by loading up the slow cooker with Korean Pork or Enchilada Beef in the morning. When I'm doing really well, I'll even prep a side dish while I'm making breakfast or packing lunches--something that will stay fresh if it's stored in the fridge all day. This Jicama-Pineapple Slaw is perfect for these days, because the jicama and carrots stay crisp and fresh long after you put everything together.
You can eat this slaw as a topping for tacos or taco bowls, but you can also just eat it as a salad. Make a big batch! You'll save yourself chopping and planning the next day.
Serves: 6 | Total Time:
- 1 Jicama (2 cups, chopped into matchsticks)
- 3 large carrots (1 cup chopped into matchsticks)
- 1 mandarin orange or tangerine, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño (or 1/2 large jalapeño), cut into thin slices
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash paprika
- Dash granulated garlic (garlic powder)
- Salt & pepper
- Toss jicama, carrots, orange wedges, diced pineapple, jalapeño and cilantro in a salad bow.
- Then, whisk together lime juice, honey, olive oil, paprika, granulated garlic, and a dash each of salt & pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over vegetables, and took until coated.
- Store in airtight salad until you are ready to eat! Stays good for 3-5 days in the fridge.