Broccoli was my favorite vegetable as a kid: my mom would steam it, and without complaints I would dip each floret into generous amounts of ranch dressing. And then one day I just decided I didn't like broccoli any more. I was never picky but that day, I wanted to know what would happen. I think part of me was probably wondering If I don't eat my broccoli, do I get to eat dessert sooner? Come on, guys! Valid question for a 6-ish-year-old.
Looking back on the memory, on my mom sitting catty corner from me at the table, her face painted with annoyance, I know this moment was just me being a brat. You don't just wake up one day and hate broccoli. And I know that my mom really didn't want to fight with her kid at the dinner table.
The next thing I knew, she told me that I had better eat my broccoli because Grandpa would tell me too. I can't actually remember if she called him or if he had called, right in this opportune moment, but she passed me the phone and Grandpa's voice was on the other end.
Exactly what he said is lost in time now, but it was short. No more than one simple sentence about how I should eat my broccoli. Something like, "You know Caitlin, broccoli helps you grow into a strong girl!" or "When your mom tells you to eat your broccoli, you should eat your broccoli." And I know that I gave in easily, letting out a defeated sign and saying OK.
The conversation ended. I ate my broccoli. I still eat my broccoli, with no complaints, on a weekly basis (because I love it, and always have, even on that one day when I pretended I didn't).
Serves: 6 | Total Time:
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup yogurt (lighter, primal option) or homemade Mayo (true paleo version)
- 1 tablespoon creamy dijon mustard
- 1 heaping teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 toasted sliced almonds
- In the bottom of a medium side salad bowl, whisk together the yogurt/mayo, curry powder, dijon mustard, maple syrup, black pepper, and salt.
- Once dressing is mixed well, And the broccoli to the bowl and toss to coat in the dressing.
- Sprinkle with raisins and almonds, toss again until everything is evenly distributed. Serve! (This said keeps well in the fridge for several days)