Hello and happy 2017! We got back home yesterday and boy does it feel good--I'm sure many of you are home from traveling too, and understand the feeling. I made this chicken recipe before we left, but it's so homey that it seems like a good one to post as a welcome home.
We spent the last week in Nevada, exploring the Red Rocks Canyon Conservation Area. Like I told you last week, I'm pretty accustomed to unconventional Christmas holidays, and this one was no exception. We rented a vacation home with a group of friends and spent the majority of the time exploring the narrow slot canyons and rocky plateaus of the park via foot and rope--hiking and climbing toward each new view.
It was nothing short of refreshing: a breath of fresh air and plenty of time in the sun. We stayed out until dusk most evenings, watching the sun dip below the mountainous horizon. We kept ourselves busy with the outdoors! Cooking was second to adventure, which is probably for the best as our rental had an ill-equipped kitchen: for dinner I'd dig through cabinets, make do with odd sized pots and pans, and stir using whatever utensils we could find.
How nice it is to return the plates and spoons you know! Feeling comfy and cozy at home. ❤️ How about you?
Serves: 6 | Total Time:
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 4 cloves + 1 bulb garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 package poultry herbs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 whole chicken
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat over to 350°F. Mince the 4 cloves or garlic and place in small mixing bowl. Pull leaves from half of the springs of herbs, and place in bowl with garlic. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in honey, and zest the lemon into the bowl.
- Prep chicken: Season cavity with salt & pepper. Gently slide hands under skin of chicken so as to separate the skin from the meat (this is a bit gross but pays off! The flavor makes it into the meat instead of just the skin). Then, spread the herb/garlic mixture under the skin, trying to get it into all of the nooks and crannies of the chicken.
- Cut the lemon and the onion into wedges.
- Slice the build of garlic in half the horizontal way. You will end up with one larger piece that is held together by the roots and a bunch of smaller half cloves.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with half of the onion and lemon wedges, the smaller garlic pieces, and several sprigs of herbs. Place chicken on pan. Surround chicken with remaining onions, larger garlic piece, lemons, and herbs. Season top with salt & pepper. Drizzle enter pan with avocado oil.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and juices run clear.