Things I love: dinner parties, artichokes, finger foods, mushrooms. Of course, this list is not exhaustive, but these mushrooms are so many things I love in one bite that I can't get over them. Do you know what happens when you stuff a mushroom cap with artichoke dip?! Ooey, gooey, finger-food-sized bite of goodness. You don't even need a plate.
As a kid I remember being pulled to holiday cocktail parties, and my mom would always gush over the artichoke dip. Maybe this is why artichoke dip has a sort of halo of goodness to me-- I associate it with so many warm things. What I like about serving it in mushrooms caps is it feels a little bit cleaner: not only do I love LOVE mushrooms, but eating this dip with mushrooms rather than chips or toast feels like it's up a few notches on the good-for-you scale. Not that it matters much at holidays parties, where cookies and eggnog rule the day. But hey! I tried.
Yields: 32 | Total Time:
- 1 (8 ounces) block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 (14 ounces) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup grated white cheddar
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- About 32 crimini mushroom caps
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. In a small sauce pan, heat the coconut oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent and the garlic begins to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Strain and dice the artichoke hearts into small pieces. Place in mixing bowl along with the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and yogurt. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and add a dash of both the hot sauce and the Worcestershire. Once the onions are cool, scrape them into the bowl as well, and mash everything together until combined.
- Prep the mushrooms caps: wash each cap, and remove the stems. Place caps hollow-side up on a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Using two spoons (and your hands as needed), fill each hollow with artichoke dip, creating a mound in each mushroom. Place baking pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve.