I don't know about you, but "Pub Mix" holds a very solid place in my memory. Not just any Pub Mix--what I'm thinking of is the kind with those crunchy honey mustard pretzel bites. When I was younger, I would pick my favorite bites out of those types of mixes, and leave the less tasty bits for everyone else. ...I would *never* do that these days. Never. ;)
These Honey Mustard Roasted Nuts are more like trail mix than pub mix, but their savory, toasty flavor hits the spot. They're tossed in a spicy mix and a bit of real honey and then roasted until they're perfect crunchy and addicting.
You could throw them on a salad, and them to an antipasti board, or toss a container of them into your bag for a snack on the go. Or, you know, eat them with your fingers directly from the pan they cooked on. They'll still be warm, and they'll fill the kitchen with a rich, nutty scent. I'd be a liar if I told you I didn't eat at least a handful of these that way.
I'd also be a liar if I told you I didn't pick out my favorite bites from this mix (cashews!!), and leave the rest for everyone else to eat. But that's besides the point. The point is, these nuts are totally the replacement you need for any pub mix, or savory snack-like item.
Yields: 2 cups | Total Time:
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional: dash cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt the coconut oil and honey in the bottom of a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the mustard.
- Add the nuts and seeds to the bowl, and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the spices and salt until evenly distributed. Add the spices to the nuts, tossing to coat.
- Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Place them in the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. Nuts should be golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before eating. Allow to cool completely before storing in airtight container.