Before I jump into this post, I want to thank Carly for pointing out a typo in my last recipe! If you were confused by a post that said "nut-free" and a recipe that was most definitely not nut-free, I apologize! Just another reminder to slow down. For the *correct* recipe, head there now.
Now for this bowl of green.
By now, you've probably heard of watermelon tomato salad, and you're probably well aware that strawberries and feta are the Peanut Butter and Chocolate of the salad world. You've also probably heard of cucumber and melon, though it may remind you more of scented lotions than summer meals (I shudder to think how many bottles of cucumber melon scented lotion I used in middle school). But here's a new one for you: Cucumber + Melon + Avocado (Plus mint and lemon and maybe even a crack pepper, but that doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it?).
Avocado works in this salad the same way feta works with strawberries--it adds richness, grounding the entire dish and settling it out. If you open your mouth wide and manage to get a single bite with all three, you find yourself completely intrigued: it's at first herbaceous (gotta love mint), and then refreshing (cucumber!), smooth and creamy (that's the avocado), and finally sweet, as the melon hits your tongue.
Neither cucumber, nor melon or avocado are so robust that they over power the entire salad--on the contrary, each bite is just a bit different in texture and flavor. It's a good change of pace when you're sick of the same old thing, but mostly it's perfect for showcasing this season's best produce. When I'm looking for something a bit more savory, I even dish this over lettuce, drizzle it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and top it with prosciutto.
This recipe also helps me take down the out-of-control mint growing in the back yard. Between this salad, this Grilled Lamb Chop, and this Chili-Mint Slaw, we're (barely) managing to keep up with it's growth. What are your favorite ways to use mint recipes? Mojitos anyone?! There's enough to go around!
Serves: 4 | Total Time:
- 1 honeydew melon
- 1 cucumber
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- Optional: a few cracks of black pepper
- Prepare the produce: Remove the rind and from the melon and chop into cubes. Peel the cucumber, and cut into cubes. Slice open the avocado, and cube that as well.
- Juice the lemon into a medium sized salad bowl. Finely chop the mint leaves and add that to the bowl. Toss in the melon and cucumber. (I leave out the avocado at this time, and add it in last in order to preserve it’s shape.)
- Finally, gently toss in the avocado.
- Sprinkle top of salad with a touch of freshly ground black pepper for an extra kick. Serve.