Things have been busy as ever around here, which means two things:
1) I could really go for a sweet-tooth fix
2) It would be great if that fix was quick to whip up... and by quick, I mean it should take less time to get in my tummy than it does for me to watch the latest episode of Survivor.
The answer, dear readers, is pumpkin butter. It's smooth, it's sweet, and I typically have all of the ingredients on hand. And did I mention no refined sugars?! Pumpkin butter is the dream. Apple butter is pretty good too.
And sure, pumpkin butter is also great because you can spread it on things, but who does that when they can just eat it straight off the spoon? One of my favorite movies as a kid was Mary Poppins... as Mary always says, A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down! I'm sure she was referring to wholesome, natural sugars found in fruits, right? 😉
Anyways, it's working for me this week-- pumpkin butter is where it's at.
Yields: 1.5 cups | Total Time:
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Blend the apple with the water until pureed. Strain the juice into a sauce pan.
- Stir the pumpkin with the apple juice. Add the honey and the spices and whisk until fully combined.
- Place over low heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally. Cook for 30 minutes, and then turn off the stove and uncover to allow the pumpkin butter to cool. Store in jar.